Saturday, June 21, 2008

We have arrived!!

So we made it!! We have finally landed in Africa and what a day it has been....

I break it down for you.

1. Land in Dakar Senegal at 4:30am
2. Takes 2 hours to load the buses and start our trip to Mauritania
3. 5.5 hour bus ride through Senegalese countryside and cities
4. Wait 2 hours at Senegal and Mauritania to take our buses across the Senegal River on a ferry.... (the ferry broke for a while)
5. Arrive in Rosso Mauritania and get greeting by at least 30 Peace Corps workers and Host Country Nationals (lots on handshakes and French and Hassiniya )
6. Have lunch (fish and rice with a tomato sauce)
7. Free time (get african phone number!! 0112224596587 <---that's the whole thing if you wanna call me, I have unlimited minutes if you give me a call. We are only 4 hours ahead...
8. First walk around Rosso with guide. Talk about culture shock! It really is an amazing place though. Today I was happy when a little kid came up and shook my hand and greeted me while I was walking down the street.
9. Talking with some Host Country Nationals (worked on my french)
10. Set up our mosquito nets outside to sleep under the stars.
11. Had dinner (cous cous and goat)
12. Found out we have wireless internet and wrote this blog....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So is it anything like Babel lol?
Awesome to hear that everything is going well :)
Carpe Diem!

Katherine

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking your phone, computer, and webcam with you! We are appreciating all the news you post or sent via your folks. Hope you realize your blog is being shared by all the parents - I sent the link to the parent list that you and Lily instigated (thanks for that too!). Here's one of the replies -
Eric
From the bottom of my heart.........THANK YOU!!!!!! You can never know how much that bit of information ment to me! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!..........................
Laurel

We're very excited for you all, and wish you all the best!
Cynthia aka Kat's mom
(forgot my pwd so posting anon)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your detailed updates. Spoke with Becky, but the more information, the better.

Becky's mom

Anonymous said...

Glad everything ois going well. Look forward to your next update.
Paul