Thursday, October 9, 2008

Real work and the hot season is almost over!!

Well I just wanted to get in a short little blog today. It was a rather exciting afternoon. I had a meeting today with the branch manager of CAPEC Bank Ibu N'Jaay. CAPEC Bank is a micro-financing bank based in Mauritania. They primarily work with agricultural cooperatives in the country. Their main goal is to make credit available to those (the poor) who cannot get get credit through traditional banking institutions for a multitude of bogus reasons.

I talked to him along with the help of my friend and fellow volunteer (Mary: her French is way better than mine lol) just primarily about what steps are needed to open an account there and how to start obtaining credit. The process was surprisingly simple and I'm really excited to bring the news back to my village and the GDD cooperative (the co-op I am initially helping). If you are interested in learning more about micro-financing and the impact it can have for people in developing nations, may I recommend the book "Banker for the Poor" by Muhammed Yunus. It is truly an excellent book and explains his story in Bangladesh and about how he basically started the micro-financing movement around the world. The book really provided me with a great deal of motivation about the work I am doing with the Peace Corps.



lso, I have been getting requests from people to give more information about the the culture, climate, and general life in Mauritania. So I wanted to take a quick second to provide some general info about the weather today. Mauritania basically has three seasons:

Really Hot and Dry (March-May)
Really Really Hot and Wet (June-October)
Hot and Dry aka Cool Season "which is a relative term" (November-February)

So far I have braved the hot seasons of Mauritania where I would say it averages around 100 degrees or so. I was telling my parents the other day, that you know you live in a hot country when even the people who live here aren't used to it and complain about it everyday lol. But honestly, it has been better that what I expected and the nights here are really starting to cool off. So that is a definite plus. Well hopefully that gives you a better idea about the weather here, if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask :-)

Cheers....

No comments: