Sunday, October 19, 2008

Wolof Fun

So I was thinking the other day about a few of my favorite phrases and such in my new language of Wolof an I figured I would share some with ya....

1. Fanaan ak Jamm (My favorite)
Translation: Pass the night with peace,
Their equivalent of goodnight, I just think it has a nice ring to it..

2. Fukki Bukki Guddi, Fukki Bukki Becchig (A Wolof Toung Twister)
Translation: Ten hyenas at night, ten hyenas at day.
Those words are pronounces as if oo sound in boot.

3. Ndank Ndank (a useful little phrase)
Translation: Little by little, or bit by bit
Great for all types of explanations of things

The last one was actually a phrase that I made up when attempting to translate the American proverb of "No pain no gain", it actually ends up sounding more poetic in Wolof I think....and the guys I work with in the fields right now, really like the phrase lol...

4. Suduul woon metti, amul xalis ak amul doole (My Wolof poetry)
Translation literally: Without the grace of pain, one does not have money and strength
This phrase was made when I was explaining to my friends of the GDD cooperative why I like working in the fields with them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Eric,
happy belated birthday from Thilo, Tina and Alexa!! How's life?
We miss you and wish you all the best!
Tina Marie

Jacque said...

hey! So I went to a wedding and was talking with some Wolof people from Senegal. I was attempting to speak, or at least copying what they told me and I learned #2 (fuki buki...). It was a blast - waow, waow. ;) Hope all is well down south! Great random act of kindness too. If his house was anything like his hawli I'm sure it was way past needing to be done.