Friday, December 11, 2009

Ok Jamaica, I am impressed…


So my first two weeks here in country have really been a completely different Peace Corps experience for me. From the moment I stepped off the plane and was immediately slapped in the face with some of the most humid weather I have ever experienced; to becoming familiar with my new Jamaican yard community and the workings of it, Peace Corps Jamaica has been a thrill.

In my mind, Jamaica is basically proving to be the anti-Mauritania. Jamaica is the Bugs Bunny to Mauritania’s Elmer Fudd. Of course I am speaking about the country itself and not the Peace Corps. The Peace Corps is pretty much amazing no matter what country it functions in (Come on fellow RIM volunteers ;-), did you really expect me to forget my roots haha). So anyhow, from what I have heard and seen on the ground here, is that Jamaica is home to more churches and bars per capita than any other country in the world. Really kind of a crazy contrast when you think about it…then again you might not have to think that hard about it. Honestly though, that type of statement might explain Jamaica better than any other one. For me, it has been a country of two different worlds. The world the tourists experience (which is pretty awesome) and the world of the Jamaicans (also pretty fricken awesome). It’s just a matter of where you go…

Being in Negril, it gives me the opportunity to essentially see both sides of the equation. When I am on the main drag, many Jamaicans confuse me for a regular tourist and thus treat me accordingly (or they think I’m Jamaican…that is until I open my mouth). But basically, they will try to sell me something. Although I cannot blame-em; gotta make that money son!! (note: that was American slang, not Jamaican lol). However, when people find out that I am working here, it’s a new game. There is a good deal of respect that goes along with that. Also, the Peace Corps being popular enough that lots of people know about it is a new experience too. Kind of nice, not gonna lie.

So in a nut-shell so far, I have truly been enjoying myself. The other volunteers have been absolutely amazing to me and are doing their best to show me the ropes around the country. They have also been going out of their way to really make sure that I feel welcome and part of the group. That really means a lot to me. All in all I feel like I am catching on pretty quickly….all things considered. I would equate it to learning your second foreign language- it’s a little easier the second time around but still a challenge in its own right.



Dear RIM volunteers:

Two days ago I had a free dinner at an all inclusive resort on a business meeting and yesterday I had lunch on the beach while enjoying a cold Red Stripe (hate me haha)….

Love ya,
Papis

Hey I didn’t say being a volunteer in Jamaica didn’t have its perks! Oh it does and they’re great lol…



Random Act of Kindness: The organization I work for here is currently sponsoring a Clean Farming Initiative/Contest for local farmers. Yesterday we visited Ms. Nesbeth's farm near Negril and during our entire visit I carried her backpack for her. Chivalry is not dead ladies..

1 comment:

JAC said...

sounds pretty amazing, eric!! keep lovin the good life... =)

julie ann